this puppy is not george bush's program
I agree, and I think again that the idea for SOLS is a good idea, but the system we are under needs big time revision....I mean you are giving end of course tests that are what a month before the course is over???? And I hate the fact that so much rides on one single test, I just think the kids grade in class should count more than one single test.
this puppy is not george bush's program
After teaching in the Wise County School System for 33 years, I have seen a lot of ideas come and go. Something needed to be done to make teachers and students more accountable. We are all accountable for things, so this idea I agree with. However, it does have some flaws. No Child Left Behind sounds great, but let's face it, many children were left behind long ago. I still see it. When I pick up students in the mornings on my school bus and I see them coming to school with dirty clothes, and sometimes it is obvious that they dressed themselves, and I am talking about 5 and 6 year olds. Something is wrong. Many of those children will be left behind not matter what kind of government programs are available. Some will make it because they have a strong will. I taught in a computer lab in the middle school level and my 5th graders were accountable for SOL's. By the way, the next year after I retired, they incorporated them into the math and science studies. Oh well. The first year they were administered, they did okay. Well, I begin to look at what kinds of questions were asked as did every other teacher in Virginia. I began to just focus on what those questions were and nothing else, as did every other teacher in Virginia, if they wanted their students to pass the SOL's. I didn't see any cheating so to speak because of the way they were given. They were all given the tests at the same time. So, we began to teach to the test, which takes some of the things away that should be taught, or at least I thought so. Things like, how to treat other people, how to live and how to make decisions that would affect you for the rest of your life. These things can still be taught by example and that is a good way, but sometimes students don't see the example. They just want to pass the test. I can remember even in high school, at Powell Valley, we had lessons on proper telephone etiquette, and things of this sort. How to greet others, how to speak and when to speak and when not to speak. Now many are going to say, "this should be the parent's job." That is true, but students spend a lot of their time in the hands of their teachers. Sometimes that teacher is the only positive influence that that student sees. So the parents are failing. They work too much, too many single parents, and aI am one so don't go there. They are more interested in their social life than they are their children. They are selfish and think only of themselves. Some example, right. I had to attend a Juvenile Court Session last month as a result of a fight on my bus, and I saw students being brought in in chains and shackles. Not a pretty sight. What happens to those kids? They have been left behind. They have issues that weren't dealth with, they have things going on that they don't know how to handle. That is one reason that I am not sure of Christian Schools. It is only through the hard times, those times in the valley, that we mature and grow Spiritually. If you have not been involved in those times, then you are just on cruise control and when it is time to speed up or slow down, you don't know which to do. I saw this many times in college. Studens who were with parents who were too over protective, would send those kids away from home, and they were not able to handle it. They would either not make it academically, or would just party all the time and other things would happen to them. You get my drift. So, as a society we are failing our kids, and we are failing ourselves. We trust too much in ourselves at times, and we are not able to handle it. We must learn to trust in a Higher Power for those decisions. Hope this isn't too much, but felt like expressing myself. Us old folks can do that you know.
You can never rise above the image that you have of yourself in your own mind."
Great post Mr. G and from one who has been there. I think you hit a lot of it. It's not just one area. It's an all around area. From home to school to just development. I wonder about a lot and i know some on here take me wrong.
But i seriouly worry about our kids futures.
You can't base everything on one test. And kids well i honestly hate to say it. No matter what is done in school they will be left at home.
Today as i went to work i seen a young boy walking in the rain. I stopped and ask him where he was going. He said the bus stop. I could tell he was a little hesitate to talk. So i didn't push it. I had an old pull over rain poncho. I said here. Put this on and put your arms through here.
The kid was just about 10 i guess. His pants were dirty to some extent. And i knew he hadn't ate as i noticed he looked at what i had laying in the seat of my truck.
I said listen here partner let me make this thing fit. So i tore off what didn't. And as he walked away i said oh, you want the rest of this biscuit, im full as i can be. The kid smiled and said well sir if your not gonna eat it.
You know im not perfect and this is not about me. It's about kids. But man for awhile i had some very mixed emotions. First it was to almost cry looking at this youngin. Next it was to anger. What is wrong with parents. Then i posted what i did earlier. Teachers do all they can. But not all will have the chance to go on. SOLs were their one test.
And as i said not every will be or have the chance to be what they want. You know time to tell a few real truths. Had i gotten my dream i would of graduated college gotten my degree and been teaching and coaching.
Didn't happen so i used what skills and knowledge i had to get a job.
Problem today. We cater to the system. And the system is not working. Because those who know the real reasons why it doesn't work. No one listens to. The teachers, the parents and the students themselves.
God Bless our kids. Someone had to look out for them. One thing i like about this forum. We may disagree ourselves. But one thing. We all i think, wish nothing but the best for the children now and those coming up.
Last two posts are right on the money, really , how much cash does it take to be happy? Give me a dry spot, some heat and enough to eat- I'll be ok. So why all the push from someone with enough cash to last ten generations to cut programs that he screwed up with tax cuts? Cuts to Bioterror grants after being the defense champion of the world? No child left behind will shift money from certain areas to others, and WE will be in the losing groups. Or their ain't a line in Texas! [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Bookmarks